Friday, April 19, 2013

Sharing Our Stories








Inspired by the Free Little Library movement, I decided to build one for my block. Well, technically I didn't build the library, but rather, I served as its community contractor. Evan supplied and cut the wood. Peter assembled all the pieces. Casa de Paz gifted the two-by-four post, and Mariposa Groove shared extra chicken coop shingles. My landlord provided the paint, and my partner and neighbors operated some power tools. Even with all of this support, our "little" project took seven months to complete. Never underestimate carpentry.

As I was finally putting up the masterpiece in front of our house, my neighbors were nervous for me. They saw all the work that went into the library and wanted me to be ready for vandalism. I took a deep breath and handed the little library over to the community. I hung up some simple instructions: This is your library. Please take a book or leave a book. I started the collection with five books. For the past six months, the library has emptied and filled each week with little help from me. It amazes me every time. At times the library is so full, the books must be stacked on top of one another. More than once I've noticed that the library looked disorganized on my way out of the house, but by the time I return home someone had already straightened up the books. "Another visit from the library fairies," I think to myself.

One afternoon I was checking out the selection, when a man passed by. He carried a giant trash bag over his shoulder filled with cans and bottles that he was collecting in the neighborhood. He asked me, "Anything good in there today?" He went on to tell me about the John Grisham book that he found recently. He said, "I couldn't put it down. I stayed up so late night after night to finish it." I laughed having that same experience so often. "That's when you know you've got a good one," I replied. I've borrowed some good books from the little free library, but the connections that it gives me with my community feels most important. Living in the same neighborhood, we don't always see one another, but the movement of books lets me know that we are all here, sharing our stories.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic!!!! I am in the begining stages of starting my very own LFL. I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete